Dr. Chen specializes in human vaccine research and antiviral therapies. He joined the RH Biopharma in Aug 2018. He is responsible for the new vaccine candidate’s development and production. He has over 10 years of practical, hands-on industry experience on human vaccine. He was previously the Head of R&D at Adimmune Corporation, where he was committed to contribute the know-how and solutions for the new vaccine development as well as for providing the design, methods and operators for the manufacture of the vaccines. Additionally, He leaded a team to develop the EV71 vaccine produced by 200-L scale serum-free microcarrire bioreactor system for phase II and III clinical trial studies and also developed a fundamental sf9 insect cells-baculovirus expression platform to convert traditional flu vaccine from egg-based to a cell culture-based production process. Prior to Adimmune Corporation, Dr. Chen was a research scientist in Genomics Research Center (GRC), Academia Sinica (AS) focused on developing universal flu vaccine against influenza. His current work is to lead a team for developing universal flu vaccine that can provide durable protection for all age groups against multiple influenza strains, including those that might cause a pandemic.
- Current position and EDUCATION:
- Chief Operating Officer, RH Biopharmaceuticals. Inc. July 2022.
- Vaccine Development Director, RH Biopharmaceuticals. Inc. Aug 2018.
- R&D Department Deputy Director, Adimmune Corporation, Sep 2017-Aug 2018.
- R&D Department Manager, Adimmune Corporation, Oct 2012-Sep 2017.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Genomics Research Center, Academia Sinica, Genomic Research Center, 2012-2012 Oct.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA. Vollum institute, 2010-2012.
- National Yang-Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan (R.O.C) Ph. D program in Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 2005- 2010.
- PUBLICATIONS AND PATENT:
- 2019, Wu CY, Chen YT, Hsiao PW, Yang AS, Chen JR (Corresponding author)
A monoclonal antibody-based immunoassay for measuring the potency of seasonal influenza flu vaccines
PLoS One. (2019)
- 2019, Wu CY, Chen YT, Hsiao PW, Chow YH, Chen JR (Corresponding author)
Matured EV71 particles enhance the vaccine potency by eliciting a broadly VP1 neutralizing antibody against homologous and heterologous viruses
PLoS One. 2019 Jan 16;14(1):e0210553.
- 2015, Wu CY, Lin YW, Kuo CH, Liu WH, Tai HF, Pan CH, Hsiao PW, Chan CH, CC Chang, CC Liu, Chow YH, Chen JR (Corresponding author)
Inactivated Enterovirus 71 Vaccine Produced by 200L Scale Serum-Free Microcarrier Bioreactor System Provides Cross-protective Efficacy in Human SCARB2-transgenic mouse.
PLoS One. 2015 Aug 19; 10 (8): e0136420.
- 2014, Wu CY, Chang CY, Hsiao PW, Chang CC, Chan CH, Liu CC, Chen JR (Corresponding author)
Squalene-Adjuvanted H7N9 Virus Vaccine Induces Robust Humoral Immune Response against H7N9 and H7N7 Viruses.
Vaccine. 2014 Jul 31; 32 (35):4485-94.
- 2014, Chen PC, Chuang PK, Chen CH, Chan YT, Chen JR, Lin SW, Ma C, Hsu TL, Wong CH. Role of N-linked glycans in the interactions of recombinant HCV envelope glycoproteins with cellular receptors. ACS Chem Biol. 2014 Jul 18; 9 (7):1437-43.
- 2014, Chen JR, Yu YH, Tseng YC, Chiang WL, Chiang MF, Ko YA, Chiu YK, Ma HH, Wu CY, Jan JT, Lin KI, Ma C, Wong CH.
Vaccination of monoglycosylated hemagglutinin induces cross-strain protection against influenza virus infections.
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Feb 18; 111(7):2476-81.
- 2011, Chen JR, Ma C, Wong CH.
Vaccine design of hemagglutinin glycoprotein against influenza.
Trends in Biotechnology. 2011 Sep; 29(9):426-434.
- 2010, Methods and compositions for immunization against virus. Patent Number:(美國國家專利)US2010247571 A1 20100930 (Inventor)
- 2009, Wang CC*, Chen JR*, Tseng YC, Hsu CH, Hung YF, Chen SW, Chen CM, Khoo KH, Cheng TJ, Cheng YS, Jan JT, Wu CY, Ma C, Wong CH. (*Equal contribution)
Glycans on influenza hemagglutinin affect receptor binding and immune response.
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Oct 27; 106(43):18137-42.